Important clinician information about MOLST
- MOLST is a standardized medical order form suitable for use with patients of any age with serious advancing illnesses.
- The MOLST form is not suitable for use with all seniors/elders.
- It is not advisable to provide blank MOLST forms to patients or families.
- Filling out MOLST is one possible outcome of clinical discussions with patients about life-sustaining treatment decisions.
- The clinician's signature on MOLST confirms that the form accurately reflects the clinician's discussion(s) with the patient.
- The goal is to offer MOLST as an option for suitable patients of any age with a serious advancing illness, including:
Life-threatening illness or injury
Chronic progressive disease
Any patient with whom you would discuss DNR orders